We started October off by creating a picture bank. We asked the children what things they associated with October or Halloween. These are the things they came up with...
We decided to focus on Spiders today. Our learning box question was whether or not they liked spiders. We were surprised at how many of the children like spiders and even like spiders to crawl on them! :)
- A fear of spiders is called arachnophobia.
- Most spiders are helpful to us. They are clean and they catch yucky bugs.
- There are 30,000 different kinds.
- Spiders are not insects. They are arachnids.
- They have two parts to their body, eight legs, and up to eight eyes.
- Most spiders spin webs.
- They live all over the world- some in trees, some on the ground, some in your house!
- They are all sizes. The biggest is the tarantula that can grow up to 10 inches! :P
- Some people have spiders as pets!
We sang the itsy-bitsy-spider while the kids played with a spider puppet.
We introduced our "fun"damentals for October. We found items around the room that were orange and black. We played our #3 action game. Each child took turns being the leader and wearing a #3 necklace. They did an action 3 times and everyone followed. We also talked about the differences between a circle and a square.
A SQUARE SONG
tune of "You Are My Sunshine"
I am a square, a lovely square.
I have 4 sides, there all the same.
I have 4 corners, 4 lovely corners.
I am a square, that is my name.
We introduced Hh and added another coloring page to our alphabet books.
The Letter Hh
to the tune of Frere Jacques
The letter H. The letter H. (make ASL sign for letter, showing one hand then the other)
Has a sound. Has a sound. (bring 1 hand to ear and then the other hand to the other ear)
What sound do you make? What sound do you make? (palms facing up, shrug shoulders)
/h/ /h/ /h/! /h/ /h/ /h/! (Make ASL sign for letter, move hand forward and backward for each sound)